Sunday 30 August 2009

Ice timelapse



Everyone that makes time-lapse video has to do something involving ice at some point. I never really paid any attention to how long it takes for a glass of ice to melt, I found out it is quite a while, like as long as five hours!

I started making this video late in the evening with my little point and shoot camera on a sturdy surface, snapping away by hand at what felt like regular intervals. About an hour later the ice didn't look much different to how it started and I had taken a load of photos and used up a load of battery. Eventually I had to put the half melted lump of ice in the fridge for an hour or so while my battery charged. This added to the list of problems associated with making a time-lapse video using a point and shoot. I had originally planned on making a single shot video where the ice just melts right there in font of the camera, but I was now presented with a collection of scenes showing the ice in varying states of being from various perspectives and zoom settings, etc.

I like how it turned out with different scenes, it breaks the process up a bit and gives more mileage to what is essentially a very simple thing: melting ice. This prompted me to have another go at incorporating flash for some little animated cracks and snow flakes that I think go quite nicely with the lack of perspective I managed to create with the black back ground.

While the music might appear over dramatic for the visuals, I am very pleased with it. I like the mixture of synthetic sounds, real acoustic instruments, folly and ambient real world textures.

0 comments:

Post a Comment