Friday 18 May 2012

Car journey timelapse

I had a try at making a timelapse of a car journey whilst driving from Brighton to London.

My first attempt during the day was awful. There was too much light to use a long exposure so the timelapse was way too jerky, cars just flicked around all over the place. I also found it almost impossible to mount the camera anywhere so had it moving through the journey which I tried to cover with some random editing, holding on frames here and there. This basically looked crap.

On the second attempt from Brighton to Hemel I put the camera on the ledge behind the back seats at 24mm and tried to get an exposure that was just under the length of the interval on the intervalometer. I think I went for a 2 second exposure and a 3 second interval. The look was still not what I was really after, if I am called to do another journey timelapse I'll investigate some sort of sturdier mounting options. Perhaps an 18mm lens would have been better too?

The music in the video is a cover I recorded of one of my favourite Michael Jackson songs, Speed Demon I love it! It was a great excuse to whip out some slap bass and yes, I did have to slow down the chorus!

0 comments:

Post a Comment